r@fink brews

Friday, February 13, 2009

Don't let a black cat cross your path.......now a brown ale is a different story!

I brewed a brown ale in honor of Friday the 13th. No bad luck, but I used every kernel of my base grain on this recipe. I have an order in for a sack of 2-row at the local homebrew supply shop.
Friday the 13th Brown Ale
5.00 lb Marris Otter (2 Row) UK
4.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
0.38 lb Roasted Barley
0.13 lb Chocolate Malt
0.06 lb Black (Patent) Malt
0.50 oz Williamette ] (60 min)
1.00 oz Hallertauer (60 min)
1.00 oz Williamette FWH (first wort hop)
1 Pkgs Safale S-04 English Ale yeast
First wort hopping is where the flavor/aroma hops are added to the kettle before the wort is run off the grain. In theory the time it has to steep in the hot wort before boil helps round off the flavor and aroma. This is the second brew where I've used this method and I'm anxious for a taste test.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home